On 18 June 2012 15:41, Thomas Morton <morton.tho...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> One of my experiences in around the last 18 months is that smaller companies
> (which we are, lets face it) start out contracting technical work because it
> is significantly cheaper.

Is it? I don't know about developers specifically, but generally
speaking contractors are a lot more expensive than salaried staff
because you have to compensate them for the lack of job security.
Contractors are good if it's a temporary position or if you think it
might be a temporary position, so you're willing to pay a premium not
to be stuck with someone after the work is done. WMUK is going to need
a tech person permanently, so should hire an employee.

The only reason I can see that WMUK might want to hire a contractor is
if it is going to be a part-time role, which might be possible if we
could get volunteers to do the work. We haven't done particularly well
with getting volunteers to do the work so far, though, and I'm not
sure having someone coordinating the volunteers would actually result
in any more volunteers crawling out of the woodwork. There is also an
issue that a lot of WMUK's tech work will need to be done on a tight
deadline, which is where volunteers tend not to be the best choice.