When we tried to convert into wiki code (a needed step to add links and to
convert files into a "wiki hypertext") a pdf file, that's a opaque, closed
format, such a work turned off in a nightmare. If we simply load free pdf
books "as they are", I don't see any advantage, but "feed wikisource
numbers/statistics" nd this in presently far from my personal interest.

As you guess, I'm one of users who don't support Aubrey's enthusiasm about
 texts born digital, even if free. :-)

Alex