Perhaps the logics could be reversed - t.i. with a list of todo specific
steps *needed* for a specific page; "This page needs proofreading? yes/no;
needs formatting? yes/no; needs image managing? yes/no; and so on. With
this approach, a new page could have all steps *flagged*, bus some could be
immediately unflagged, since the page doesn't need the step (if a page has
no picture indside, theres'n any need for image managing). So, a level 4
page will be by definition *a page with no pending flag*, and it will be
very simple to categorize them for pending flags.

Alex