On Mon, Jan 26, 2009 at 11:12 AM, Marcus Buck <w...@marcusbuck.org> wrote:

> Aryeh Gregor hett schreven:
> > On Mon, Jan 26, 2009 at 10:13 AM, Marcus Buck <w...@marcusbuck.org>
> wrote:
> >
> >> And then I want to bring back to mind my last message about "localize
> >> transcluded image description pages". My proposal was easy to implement,
> >> uncontroversial, so I think, and it would provide a big gain in
> >> usability. At least it's relatively easy to implement for somebody with
> >> commit access, unlike me.
> >>

> > Why don't you submit a patch, then?
> Well, I kind of did. As far as I can judge, it's just changing
>
> 00298         function getDescriptionRenderUrl( $name ) {
>
> 00299                 if ( isset( $this->scriptDirUrl ) ) {
>
> 00300                         return $this->scriptDirUrl .
> '/index.php?title=' .
>
> 00301                                 wfUrlencode( 'Image:' . $name ) .
>
> 00302                                 '&action=render';
>
> 00303                 } else {
>
> 00304                         $descUrl = $this->getDescriptionUrl( $name );
>
> 00305                         if ( $descUrl ) {
>
> 00306                                 return wfAppendQuery( $descUrl,
> 'action=render' );
>
> 00307                         } else {
>
> 00308                                 return false;
>
> 00309                         }
>
> 00310                 }
>
> 00311         }

> 00298         function getDescriptionRenderUrl( $name ) {
>
> 00299            global $wgLang;
>
> 00300            if ( isset( $this->scriptDirUrl ) ) {
>
> 00301                    return $this->scriptDirUrl . '/index.php?title=' .
>
> 00302                                 wfUrlencode( 'Image:' . $name ) .
>
> 00303                                 '&action=render&uselang='.
> $wgLang->getCode();
>
> 00304                 } else {
>
> 00305                         $descUrl = $this->getDescriptionUrl( $name );
>
> 00306                         if ( $descUrl ) {
>
> 00307                                 return wfAppendQuery( $descUrl,
> 'action=render&uselang='. $wgLang->getCode() );
>
> 00308                         } else {
>
> 00309                                 return false;
>
> 00310                         }
>
> 00311                 }
>
> 00312         }
>

> As outlined in my first post. If I understand the code right, the cache
> key is set in File.php:
>
> 01079                                 $key = wfMemcKey(
> 'RemoteFileDescription', 'url', md5($renderUrl) );
>

> It includes $renderUrl (and the URL includes the uselang part) and
> shouldn't need changes thus. No further changes needed. But as I also
> said, I am no expert on the Mediawiki code and I may have missed some
> code parts (I don't think so, but it would need much chuzpe if I'd deny
> that it's possible). Therefore I asked that a developer (or anybody else
> familiar with the internal mechanics of Mediawiki) take a look and
> [...]

Wouldn't exactly work. You'd need to cache per-language, or
otherwise all users would get the latest cached version, whatever
it happens to be. We should probably pass the language as a
parameter, so it can be called there appropriately. We'll cache it
a level above, which I believe is where it's done right now.

-Chad