Robert Rohde wrote:
> The largest gains are almost certainly going to be in parallelization
> though.  A single monolithic dumper is impractical for enwiki.
>
> -Robert Rohde

Using dumps compressed per blocks, as the ones I used for
http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikitech-l/2009-January/040812.html
would allow several processes/computers to write the same dump on
different offsets and reading from the last one on different positions
as well.

As sharing a transaction between different servers would be tricky, they
should probably dump from the previously dumped page.sql.gz

<whisper>Patches on bugs 16082 and 16176 to add Export features are
awaiting review</whisper>