On Mon, Mar 9, 2009 at 9:29 PM, Andrew Garrett <and...@werdn.us> wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 10, 2009 at 3:21 PM, K. Peachey <p858sn...@yahoo.com.au> wrote:
>>> Currently all data, including private data, is replicated to the
>>> toolserver. We could not do this with a third-party server.
>> My understanding is that the the toolserver(/s) are owned by the
>> german chapter and not by wikimedia directly so why is private data
>> being replicated onto them?
>
> Because it was chosen as the best technical solution. Is there a
> specific problem with private data being on the toolserver? If so,
> what?

I'd say the added worries about security and access approval are a
"problem" partially bundled up with that, even if they can be worked
around.

Logistically it would be nice to have a means of providing an
exclusively public data replica for purposes such as research, though
I can certainly see how that could get technically messy.

-Robert Rohde