Aryeh Gregor wrote:
> In theory.  The problem is organizational: the people who change the
> software, the people who change the stylesheets on any particular
> wiki, and the people who sync new versions of the software to the site
> constitute a few hundred different groups, mostly pairwise disjoint.
> There are over a thousand Wikimedia wikis last I heard, and to be sure
> we didn't break anything we'd have to review all of their stylesheets
> and fix them if necessary.

We have done other big changes in the past. Almost all
creations/renamings of mediawiki messages need local community action!

> It would be interesting if we had a procedure for this, however.  It
> should suffice to write a script to grep all the stylesheets on all
> sites for appropriate rules, and ask a steward or other global sysop
> to add the replacement rules before the software is synced (in
> addition to the old ones, so there's no period where neither set
> works).  This is more convenient now than it used to be, since we do
> have a unified login and global sysops.

> Now, why don't we allow <a> in wikimarkup? . . .

What's the problem with it? Just not being able to add class/style
attributes?
There's some code adding parameters to the wikilinks, but I find them
ugly. I'd prefer compressing spans surrounding anchor elements into the a.
Ie. <span foo="bar">[[baz]]</span> to produce <a href="baz"
foo="bar">baz</a>