On Thu, Apr 2, 2009 at 5:58 PM, Platonides <platoni...@gmail.com> wrote:
> We have done other big changes in the past. Almost all
> creations/renamings of mediawiki messages need local community action!

The real problem is user CSS/JS, I suspect.  People tend to copy-paste
that, and changes to document structure can break a lot of it without
any easy way to gauge the extent of the problem or fix it.

(For those more familiar with CSS/JS than with MediaWiki, I'm
referring to user subpages here, e.g.,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Simetrical/monobook.js.  I'm not
referring to stuff people have in their browsers, which is of course
impossible to track or fix even in principle.)

> There's some code adding parameters to the wikilinks, but I find them
> ugly. I'd prefer compressing spans surrounding anchor elements into the a.
> Ie. <span foo="bar">[[baz]]</span> to produce <a href="baz"
> foo="bar">baz</a>

Those two constructs are different.  They really are not the same and
should not be treated as such.  Treating them the same sounds like a
really bad idea to me.