On Wed, Jul 8, 2009 at 4:27 PM, David Gerard<dger...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Uh, it's not a good option for Wikimedia video.

With XiphQT, why not?  Maybe not ideal, but surely "good".

> And, more importantly, it's not a good option for Wikimedia video
> because Apple has *deliberately chosen to make it not a good option*.

They haven't prevented it from being an option.  As far as I know,
Safari is the only <video>-implementing browser with pluggable codec
support.  I haven't bothered doing any research, so I could be wrong
-- maybe Chrome or Opera support pluggable codecs -- but Firefox
definitely does not let you use codecs other than Theora, unless I'm
badly mistaken.  The upshot is that Safari is certainly the
second-best stable browser to view Theora <video> on.

> They seriously think everyone should just use H.264.

No one from Apple has ever said that.  They are not willing to ship
support for Theora directly themselves, that's all.  And they may be
willing to reconsider:

http://lists.xiph.org/pipermail/theora/2009-July/002415.html

Nothing Apple has done has suggested to me that they've acted
dishonestly.  Everything I've seen is consistent with them perceiving
not enough benefit from supporting Theora to justify taking a
nontrivial (although not necessarily large) legal risk.  Of course,
their actions also might be consistent with more sinister hypotheses,
but let's not assume bad faith here, shall we?

Regardless, if the message is phrased purely as advice on how to get
videos working better, what it says should *not* follow any motives
other than that.