2009/7/26 Andrew Garrett <agarr...@wikimedia.org>:

>>> The content is wiki-text. It has to be parsed to be turned into
>>> HTML. There
>>> isn't a more traditional way, because there is no other way.
>>
>> Wouldn't it be possible to dump the parser cache instead of dumping
>> XML and reparsing? Al the parsing work is already done on the
>> Wikimedia servers, why do it again on a slow desktop system?
>
> For a few reasons:
>
> 1/ There's no reason to expect that the contents of every page,
> revision, et cetera, would be in the parser cache.
> 2/ Deleted or otherwise private revision content may remain in the
> parser cache.
> 3/ There would be a lot of redundant content in the parser cache,
> owing to people browsing with the same options.
> 4/ None of the useful article metadata is stored in the parser cache.
> 5/ The parser cache is stored in memcached, a hash-based system which
> it is impossible to simply "dump", let alone dump selectively
> excluding all of the other things stored in memcached (including quite
> a bit of private data).
>
> It might, however, be sensible to generate parsed HTML text for every
> page, save them in a directory, and then zip it up.
>
> Oh, wait...

I always thought it would be much more useful to generate the HTML of
action=render for every page rather than the action=view with the HTML
for one specific skin a million or so times, which is then a pain to
parse out if you want to do anything other than open the HTML in a
browser.

(-:

Andrew Dunbar (hippietrail)

http://wiktionarydev.leuksman.com http://linguaphile.sf.net