That's the reason why I always symlink extensions/ to my common
extensions folder.

/path/to/common/extensions/
/path/to/mywiki/*
/path/to/mywiki/extensions -symlink-> /path/to/common/extensions/
/path/to/anotherwiki/*
/path/to/anotherwiki/extensions -symlink-> /path/to/common/extensions/

It works perfectly fine for extension's interface components, it's great
for checking out the entire svn extensions but still having separate
wiki installations, while avoiding eating up disk space unnecessarily.
It's perfectly valid, but the maintenance script issue is still there.