It is happening on WinXP, FF 3.5.1, 3.5.2, 3.5.3, on "clean" setup as well.

It is apparently specific to Windows (not surprising), and is some
side effect of the ABBR element; using lots and lots on a page causes
endless or nearly endless CPU.

Attempting to turn it off with "abbr { display:none; }" makes it
worse: it is then 100% CPU instead of 95-97%. FF renders the page,
then goes back and re-renders the first occurrence of each ABBR
element with a superscript giving the expansion. I suspect it is doing
this (re-render) for all of the elements on the page, so with more
than a few it goes CPU bound for a long time. But also in some way
worse than that, since it  doesn't stop. (quadratic with number of the
elements? ;-)

Makes RC and watchlist unusable for now.

(mozilla seems to be susceptible to going CPU bound and thrashing VM
under various odd conditions, almost always on Windoze ;-)

Best,
Robert