* Jared Williams <jared.willia...@ntlworld.com> [Fri, 25 Sep 2009
10:49:54 +0100]:

> The problem is the ambiguity with italics, (''italics''). So the
> current parser doesn't really make its final decision on what should
> be bold or what should be italic until it hits a newline. If there are
> an even number of both bold and italics then it assumes it interpreted
> the line correctly.
>
> However if there is an uneven number of bold & italic, it starts
> searching for where it could have misinterpreted something.

Shouldn't these cases be considered a syntax error? How much is common
to wikipedia to have uneven numbers of occurences of that? Is there any
use for that (weird templates)?

> I think this is part of what makes wikitext undescribable in a formal
> grammar.
>
> Jared

Let's assume an odd occurence of ''' will be converted to <wmf:bold> and
an even occurence ''' to </wmf:bold> (begin/end of the node)? Non-paired
occurence will simply cause XML parsing error - there should not be
uneven number of '' or '''.
Dmitriy