On Sat, Jan 30, 2010 at 6:58 AM, Thomas Dalton <thomas.dal...@gmail.com> wrote:
> "Google phases out support for IE6"
>
> It's only a small step, but it is one more step towards the end of IE6
> and the nightmare of supporting it!

IE6 really is holding everyone back. But at such a high market share
(still!), it's still worth providing services to these users--dear lord lets
not start using the "Optimized for IEx/NNy" banners from days gone
by. We've recently dropped the IE5[1] and 5.5[2] stylesheets, since their
combined market share is less than a percent. Of course we shouldn't
bend over backwards to help IE6, but they can't be ignored, yet.

As has been stated in many places by many people: IE6's penetration
remains mostly in corporate environments, where users don't have a
choice in browsers and the company doesn't want risk breaking working
web applications. The fact that Microsoft is supporting it for another 4
years--it should've been shelved already--doesn't improve matters either.

-Chad