On 2/3/10 2:01 PM, Aryeh Gregor wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 3, 2010 at 4:54 PM, Steve Bennett<stevag...@gmail.com>  wrote:
>
>> Yeah, but something more subtle might actually be appropriate.
>> Presumably IE6 lingers so long because it doesn't cause *users* any
>> problems. All the headache is on the side of web developers. If you
>> make it a problem for users (eg, youtube doesn't work anymore, iirc),
>> then they eventually make enough noise to bug their corporate masters
>> to switch.
>>
> Our goal is to make information freely available to as many people as
> possible.  Annoying people who try to use Wikipedia would make it less
> pleasant for them to use the site and run contrary to our mission.  We
> need to support IE6 as well as possible, given realistic constraints
> on our manpower.  We should not be taking out our frustration at IE6
> on users who typically didn't choose their browser in the first place.

I think that's obvious. In all seriousness though, we may want to
consider the possibility of letting users know about features they are
missing out on. In the case of the UsabilityInitiative work I'm doing,
IE6 hasn't really been a problem since we ditched it long ago. Users of
IE6 won't even know how wonderful things might be on the other side of
the upgrade.

Also, we are open source, and thus we want to promote open source
browsers. So, it's not a far-stretch to imagine us actively doing so,
even if IE worked great. But once again, yes, we'll catch more bees with
honey than... you get the idea.

- Trevor