Thanks Petr.
I installed the appropriate versions of the Parser hook extensions
that look relevant:
CategoryTree (Version r48218)
CharInsert (Version r36357)
Cite (Version r47190)
InputBox (Version r42791)
ParserFunctions (Version 1.1.1)

I'm using MediaWiki 1.15.1 and I imported the dump using xml2sql.
Most enwiki pages render correctly, but a bunch of pages (e.g.
Jennifer_Garner) show spurious </span> tags (inspecting the page
source show a bunch of &lt;/span&gt;).

Template:Marriage looks to be one of the offending templates (though
the wikimarkup of that page matches the version on en.wikipedia.org).

I guess the problem could be:

1) bug caused by xml2sql
2) I'm missing an un-obvious extension
3) bug in one of the many templates that's included in
Template:Marriage that has since been fixed on en.wikipedia.org

Has anyone seen this problem before?

Thanks,
Eric