On Wed, Mar 3, 2010 at 1:59 PM, Dmitriy Sintsov <ques...@rambler.ru> wrote:
> WordPress wasn't the gemstone of code about 2 years ago I've checked it.
> MediaWiki was a clear winner, don't know about current WordPress code,
> though.

Please, let's not start attacking other projects here.  There's no
call for such unconstructive denigration.

On Wed, Mar 3, 2010 at 2:39 PM, Nimish Gautam <ngau...@wikimedia.org> wrote:
> I'd love it if there were some easy way to get these administrators who
> have had to come up with hacks to share what their issues were, what
> their solutions were, and maybe even push their changes back upstream =)
> Do people here generally feel this would be a good resource to have?
> And, more importantly, that it would be used?

I feel that the issue here is pretty simple.  Anyone who can write a
patch for MediaWiki is probably pretty comfortable with having to use
SSH all the time to administer their wiki, so no one is going to add
this kind of feature because they personally want it.  Projects that
have easy-to-use admin interfaces tend to get them for one of two
reasons:

1) Someone is making money off the software's use by average people,
and is willing to pay developers to make the software easier to use
because it will turn a profit for them.

2) Some people really want to see the software succeed for
non-financial reasons, so they're willing to put in extra effort to
make it easier to use even if it doesn't directly benefit them.

(1) is unlikely to happen for us (I'd imagine it's the reason
WordPress is easy to use, though).  (2) hasn't happened because most
of us care mainly about Wikipedia or the wikis we administer, and
aren't overly concerned with third parties who aren't savvy enough to
use a command line.  It does happen for some other free software whose
raison d'etre is widespread use.