I'm in somewhat of a unique position to comment on this, since I both do
MediaWiki extension development, and run a MediaWiki consulting company
(shameless plug: wikiworks.com) - so I personally have a financial interest
in making MediaWiki more popular and more easy-to-use. I also tend to hear a
lot about the specific frustrations people have with MediaWiki, which has
led to my development of certain extensions, like Admin Links, which defines
a page meant to serve as a "control panel" for administrators:

http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Admin_Links

Troll-like as the original email was, :) it brought up some fairly common
complaints. The basic answer to these is that they are, in fact, being
addressed: as a few people noted, the usability initiative has already
created a much nicer skin, Vector; and a planned project for the upcoming
Google Summer of Code is to provide a way to install and manage extensions
via the web browser, the way WordPress does it. A few extensions, like
Configure, also allow for a web-based substitute for editing
LocalSettings.php, though they could stand some improvement.

Finally, on the more general subject of Wikimedia's relationship to
MediaWiki: I do think it would be nice if Wikimedia, and outside MediaWiki
developers, were more aware of, and more positive about, MediaWiki's
popularity in the outside world. It's used very heavily as an enterprise
wiki around the world, and I think for good reason: it's robust, stable,
very feature-rich, heavily translated, and when used with the set of
extensions around Semantic MediaWiki I think it's in a class of its own. I
just think a better answer when people ask about problems with MediaWiki is
to say "I don't know", or "I think someone's working on that", rather than
"MediaWiki is intended for use by Wikimedia projects, and if you have a
problem using it, you should switch to another wiki application." First, for
many uses there is no better wiki software, especially not for the cost; and
second, there are a lot of people, especially among extension developers but
also in general, who are trying to improve MediaWiki as a
corporate/organizational application. I just think it would be nice if more
people celebrated MediaWiki's popularity, instead of ignoring or trying to
discourage it. :)

-Yaron