Aryeh Gregor <Simetrical+wikilist <at> gmail.com> writes:

> 2) Some people really want to see the software succeed for
> non-financial reasons, so they're willing to put in extra effort to
> make it easier to use even if it doesn't directly benefit them.
> (2) hasn't happened because most
> of us care mainly about Wikipedia or the wikis we administer, and
> aren't overly concerned with third parties who aren't savvy enough to
> use a command line.

Which is too bad; it would be very useful for Wikimedia's mission if MediaWiki
was more widespread and more people would be more comfortable using it. It would
be especially useful if it would be widespread in educational and academic
circles (though it already seems to be the wiki engine of choice there) as those
are key target demographics for Wikipedia; the foundation could spend some
effort to analyze what are the greatest shortcomings of MediaWiki in that area.
(One-click install and reorganizable widgets probably wouldn't get on that list,
though.)