On Wed, Mar 10, 2010 at 11:08 AM, Lane, Ryan
<ryan.l...@ocean.navo.navy.mil> wrote:
> That is how Wikimedia will test, but we should also write the scripts in a
> generic enough way that they can run against a localhost as well. We can't
> let every developer use the tesla cluster for testing; I doubt we have
> enough capacity for that.

It would definitely be an extremely bad thing if it were hard to test
on localhost.  Ideally, it should be as easy to run as parser tests.
We can't ask people (whether committers or not) to write tests along
with their patches if they can't confirm that the tests pass.

> That said, I think it'll be difficult for people to run selenium tests
> against their own installs, as many tests are going to expect the wiki to be
> configured in a specific way. We plan on handling this on the automated test
> server by dynamically reconfiguring wikis to run tests against. There is
> probably a way to do this that makes it easy for people to run locally as
> well though.

Parser tests just set a bunch of configuration variables to particular
values when they start.  From maintenance/parserTests.inc, line 507
ff.:

        $settings = array(
            'wgServer' => 'http://localhost',
            'wgScript' => '/index.php',
            'wgScriptPath' => '/',

etc.  This works fine, although when a new config variable is
introduced, it might have to have a value added to the array if it
causes test failures with some settings.

> Are we tracking the testing architecture plans anywhere? I have a bunch of
> notes written up that would be good to share. It'll also help clear up some
> of the confusion around the subject.

I'm a little surprised by this altogether, actually.  I had seen some
mention of Selenium adoption, but nothing concrete.  Was this
discussed publicly anywhere, or has this kind of project started to
migrate behind closed doors now that there are so many paid people?
I'm subscribed to all major MediaWiki development discussion fora, as
far as I know, but I've felt increasingly out of the loop lately.
Having more paid developers is great (and so is a good testing
framework!), but that shouldn't mean that decisions are made where
volunteers can't weigh in.