On Tue, May 25, 2010 at 7:41 AM, Peter17 <peter...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Mmmh.... sorry, I'm not really sure I understand... My suggestion is
> to use a shared database that would store the remote calls, not the
> content of the pages... In my mind, fetching the distant pages would
> be done through the API, not by accessing directly the distant
> database. The external wikis will soon be able to access our images
> very easily with wgUseInstantCommons but it is still not an access to
> the database...

That's not scalable on Wikimedia sites. Making external HTTP
requests to other wiki's APIs just isn't fast enough; you must
use the database for remote wiki information in the WMF. I
suggest taking a deeper look at how the FileRepo does things.
The abstract class FileRepo handles the high-level stuff while
LocalFile, ForeignDBRepo and ForeignAPIRepo handle the
specific implementations for things like getting thumbnails or
metadata.

-Chad