On Tue, May 25, 2010 at 2:58 PM, Roan Kattouw <roan.katt...@gmail.com> wrote:
> This is true if, indeed, all parsing is done on the distant wiki.
> However, if parsing is done on the home wiki, you're not simply
> requesting data that's ready-baked in the DB and API calls make sense.

That's true -- if parsing is done on the foreign wiki, then you'd have
to do API calls or something, not read from the DB.  Another reason to
avoid that.  :)

> I'm also not convinced this would be a huge performance problem
> because it'd only be done on parse (thanks to parser cache), but like
> you I trust Tim's verdict more than mine.

Templates will often miss the parser cache, because different
invocations will use different parameters.  Even *with* the parser
cache, parsing is *still* one of the most expensive operations
Wikimedia does, so I'm not so sanguine.