Platonides wrote:
> Daniel Friesen wrote:
>
>> ^_^ "hackish" isn't that bad in some sense. I'm currently experimenting
>> with some farm code that works completely outside of MediaWiki rather
>> than as a extension sitting inside of it. Using a sandbox it can get
>> access to the MediaWiki install and extract info from it in a secure way
>> which couldn't be extracted as easily from the api. The system works
>> more like a MediaWiki virtual machine than a MediaWiki installation
>> turned WikiFarm. The result is a farm free of mapping issues which can
>> give MediaWiki hostees much more control over the installation then they
>> could on a normal WikiFarm, including the ability for different wiki on
>> the wiki farm to run completely different versions of MediaWiki and
>> upgrade independently, and have control over their own list of installed
>> extensions. ;) In fact this works using complete raw unmodified
>> MediaWiki source code. I have a few "source" directories with MediaWiki
>> source, they don't have any changes to them, and then end up being run
>> in the VM thinking they are a complete installation modified with all
>> the stuff they need to run.
>> ^_^ Tricking MediaWiki into thinking it's a single installation sitting
>> on it's own from the outside is definitely "hackish".
>> In any case, Farm{Request,Api} is a nice and interesting idea.
>>
>> ~Daniel Friesen (Dantman, Nadir-Seen-Fire) [http://daniel.friesen.name]
>>

> namespaces?

For the sandboxing? No, I wanted to use runkit but had issues installing
it. So I ended up messing with php's horrid proc_open to sandbox it in
another process to act as the vm in the case my system needs to extract
info from the wiki (not for virtualizing the actual wiki, that is done
in-process in a different less wasteful way)
I do have 5.3, but I'm not sure how I'd use php namespaces for that,
especially without modifying MediaWiki.
The only source modification I want to make at all is locally
backporting any patch I commit to trunk to fix the issues with using
special wiki configuration.