I hope to begin to address this problem with the new UploadWizard, at
least the frontend issues. This isn't really part of our mandate, but I
am hoping to add in chunked uploads for bleeding-edge browsers like
Firefox 3.6+ and 4.0. Then you can upload files of whatever size you want.

I've written it to support what I'm calling multiple "transport"
mechanisms; some using simple HTTP uploads, and some more exotic methods
like Mozilla's FileAPI.

At this point, we're not considering adding any new technologies like
Java or Flash to the mix, although these are the standard ways that
people do usable uploads on the web. Flash isn't considered open enough,
and Java seemed like a radical break.

I could see a role for "helper" applets or SWFs, but it's not on the
agenda at this time. Right now we're trying to deliver something that
fits the bill, using standard MediaWiki technologies (HTML, JS, and PHP).

I'll post again to the list if I get a FileAPI upload working. Or, if
someone is really interested, I'll help them get started.

Neil Kandalgaonkar  |) <ne...@wikimedia.org>