On 7/21/10 8:16 AM, Aryeh Gregor wrote:

>> So, as you can see, we do have a form of BLOB access.
>
> But only by reading the whole file into memory, right?  That doesn't
> adequately address the use-case we're discussing in this thread
> (uploading files>  100 MB in chunks).

That's what I said in the very next paragraph. :)

I just wanted to clarify that yes, we do have native chunking in some
browsers; no, it's not adequate for very large media files.

It seems to me we're at an impasse unless we use one or more of the
following approaches:

- We compromise on free software purity and use Flash helpers, etc
(assuming that approach works okay for ultra-large files).

- Something else (Java applets, Firefogg or other custom browser plugins)

- Mozilla, Chrome, or some other browser maker steps up with a plausible
API. We should make the case to them. We see the Moz people regularly at
the WMF and I know a few Chrome people, so maybe I can kick something off.

--
Neil Kandalgaonkar  |) <ne...@wikimedia.org>