Yes, you have a point. The problem is that I wanted to reuse the
google closure editor, which manipulates pure html.

Anyway, I've *slightly* cleaned the sources (at least it builds
smoothly, with the latest version of the required tools as explained
in the README), and it is online at
http://github.com/williamleferrand/mediawiki-ocaml-js

If anyone is willing to investigate on my work I'll be pleased to
answer all the questions that may occur! I wrote this code primarily
as a "proof of concept" for the ocaml to javascript toolchain, but if
it can help wikipedia it would be great.

I've included a brief roadmap in the README, but of course it is only
what I have in mind right now.

Best,

William

2010/8/13 Roan Kattouw <roan.katt...@gmail.com>:
> 2010/8/13 William Le Ferrand <will...@corefarm.com>:
>> 1) No, I haven't check that. It is a very important issue, but if the
>> current result is not correct it should be a matter of fixing a few
>> bugs here and there, not a global design issue.
>>
> There is a very fundamental issue with converting wikitext to HTML,
> then back, which is that there are multiple wikitext alternatives that
> produce the same HTML: [[Foo]] and [[Foo|Foo]] for instance. Earlier
> versions of FCKeditor used to 'normalize' all links looking like
> [[Foo]] to [[Foo|Foo]], which resulted absolutely hideous diffs that
> were nigh impossible to review because the actual changes got buried
> in lots of link 'normalizations'. This is what Trevor is talking about
> when he asks about the "cleanliness of your diffs".
>
> I believe this particular bug was fixed, but the general point stands:
> you need to somehow remember things about the wikitext that went in in
> order to have a chance to get it back relatively unscathed. I
> personally believe that the round-trip approach is fundamentally
> flawed and that you should have some internal representation (not
> HTML) closely connected to the wikitext in which you track changes,
> but that's just my personal conviction and I'm not aware of any
> successful editors built this way.
>
> Roan Kattouw (Catrope)

William Le Ferrand
President