All of us at WMF care and follow discussions like this, especially
clearly laid out and well thought-out analysis like Aryeh's original
post.  We don't always agree. :-) I know Danese is planning to weigh
in, so I won't write too much at this time, but will point to this
post from a couple of months ago where I laid out my view on some (not
all) of these topics.

http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/foundation-l/2010-June/059052.html

In general, I think most of us are in favor of more public
communications, including public lists, participation in public IRC
channels, wikis, etc. I don't agree with unrealistic suggestions (e.g.
face-to-face meetings have very real and very serious productivity
advantages that we don't want to lose), but we've generally been
trending in this direction. Finally, most of these decisions aren't
made by "executive fiat" -- Wikimedia is a very collaborative
organization, and virtually all the decisions about how/where to
communicate and work have been made by the people doing the work.

I would wager a guess that some less constructive individuals on this
list and others play a role in what choices people make. :) So, if
you're trying to change the dynamics, please call out and help put an
end to unconstructive and unprofessional behavior just as much as you
ask for public collaboration.
--
Erik Möller
Deputy Director, Wikimedia Foundation