On Thu, Sep 2, 2010 at 8:40 PM, Roan Kattouw <roan.katt...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> * Shut down #wikimedia-dev (formerly #wikipedia_usability, kind of).
>> The explicit purpose of the channel is to allow development discussion
>> with less noise, but "noise" here means community involvement.  In
>> community development, you do get a lot more discussion, but that's
>> not something you should try avoiding.  In general, use existing
>> discussion fora wherever possible, and if you do fragment them, make
>> sure you don't have too much of a staff-volunteer split in which fora
>> people use.
> No, "noise" means bots and people trying to support people with
> questions like "how do I disable anon reads on my wiki" as opposed to
> developers (paid and unpaid alike) being engaged in a design
> discussion. Maybe #wikimedia-dev should be renamed to #mediawiki-dev
> to remove the suggestion of WMF-exclusivity, but I definitely see the
> value of a channel dedicated to communication between developers with
> support questions and bots kept out.

As I've said elsewhere to people, this isn't an excuse for fracturing
the discussion. Using a single channel for development *and* support
has worked for *years* until the Usability Initiative decided it needed
its own channel.

The channel is not actually that busy if you don't count the bots. And
for those of you who *really* don't like them, you can /ignore them.
I don't consider people asking for help "noise" either, it's part of
being engaged with the community.

I don't see the need for a separate development channel at all.

-Chad