Nobody seems to have replied to this thread in about a week, which I think
indicates a problem, so I'm gonna poke a bit here.

Rob Lanphier wrote:
> As you probably know, we're trying to get into the habit of providing
> a monthly overview of all WMF-sponsored engineering activity.  The
> September update was posted to the techblog here:
> http://techblog.wikimedia.org/2010/09/wmf-engineering/

I think these updates are fantastic. And I think there's been some very real
forward progress over the past month, in a lot of tech-related areas. (I
don't completely understand why Wikimedia needs two blogs, but that's a
matter for a different day.)

> For October, we'd like to draft this in public so as to get the
> information out a little sooner, and to give you all the opportunity
> to help out.  Here's where we're drafting this:
> http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/WMF_Engineering_Overview_October_2010

There's been no activity on that page since September 23 (a few hours after
this thread was started). It's nearly October 1. To me, that indicates a
problem.

> Here's a very simple way you can help.  If you see something on the
> list that you're interested in, but don't see the status for yet, ping
> one of us, then be bold and add what you learn to the appropriate wiki
> page.  If you do know the status, by all means add it.
>
> Another useful thing to do:  you'll notice that many of the project
> pages that the status post links to are pretty sparse.  Same rules
> apply there.  We'd love to get help keeping this up to date.

The current reality is that the paid developers/sysadmins have been isolated
from the community. You seem to be essentially asking people to guess or
make-up the current status of a lot of these projects, most of which aren't
even known about outside paid developers/sysadmins (the Virginia data
center, improved ops monitoring, etc.).

The operations section might be a bit of an exception (obviously a good
portion of the user base is familiar with the Pending Changes trial, for
example), but in a lot of these areas, only a small number of people know
the actual, current status. Everyone else can either guess (and then rely on
Cunningham's Law[1]) or leave the page alone (which seems to be the option
that most people are taking).

Wikimedia has been having weekly (or fortnightly) status meetings about most
of the items you listed on MediaWiki.org, but the notes are being held on
Wikimedia's installation of EtherPad. Either document this EtherPad
installation (I'm not even sure if the URL is supposed to be public, so I'll
omit it here) or stop using it and post all of the notes directly on
MediaWiki.org. These notes in EtherPad are (by far) the most up-to-date and
helpful pages for tracking the status of projects that I've seen, but I
doubt more than a dozen people outside of Wikimedia Foundation staff have
any idea they exist. Though, perhaps a bit ironically, I haven't seen (m)any
ops-related notes on EtherPad, as far as I remember, so that still might be
an area in which only one or two people can give an accurate update.

Again, I think the progress over the past month has been great, and I mean
that. People are opening up a bit, some secret (or "secret") channels are
being deprecated, code review is starting to pick up, and there are some
great, necessary status updates on this list and foundation-l regarding
projects that users care about.

However, if you want people to get involved in maintaining these blog posts,
they need to have access to the necessary resources. And even then, you'll
probably still need some sort of incentive for people to work on these. Most
companies and organizations use a paycheck, but perhaps in Wikimedia's case,
something simple like giving the primary contributor(s) the blog post byline
would push people into action.

Another idea is to work with the "Signpost"; these people are already
pushing out a tech report weekly and have been doing so for years.

My two cents.

MZMcBride

[1]
http://nancyfriedman.typepad.com/away_with_words/2010/05/word-of-the-week-cu