Rob Lanphier wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 28, 2010 at 8:43 PM, MZMcBride <z...@mzmcbride.com> wrote:
>> (I
>> don't completely understand why Wikimedia needs two blogs, but that's a
>> matter for a different day.)
>
> It probably doesn't hurt to have a place for us to nerd out and not
> have to worry about writing for a general audience.  It seems that
> occasionally having some sort of "best of the techblog"-type summary
> posting on the main blog would be a good thing to do, but that means
> someone would have to decide what "best" is, and then write about it,
> so it's probably not something that will happen soon.

In order to avoid thread drift, I've replied to this here:
http://meta.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?oldid=2139159 I hope you'll join the
conversation there. It would probably also be prudent to poke Jay about this
as well.

>> There's been no activity on that page since September 23 (a few hours after
>> this thread was started). It's nearly October 1. To me, that indicates a
>> problem.
>
> Funny story there.  Most of us EPMs here have been talking daily about
> wanting to make sure we have some prose in place before our drafting
> session tomorrow, the same way people talk about losing weight or
> cleaning out their garage.  That's the bad news.  The good news is
> that we have scheduled a drafting session tomorrow that we'll be
> hammering out a draft.

When writing on a wiki, you would (or should, I guess) always link acronyms
and initialisms. In a mailing list post, this isn't possible, so it's really
best to write out the full word. I never remember what "EPM" stands for.

http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/EPM or
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/EPM or
http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/EPM

... ought to be a redirect to a description of what an EPM is, who fills
these roles, etc.

>> Wikimedia has been having weekly (or fortnightly) status meetings about most
>> of the items you listed on MediaWiki.org, but the notes are being held on
>> Wikimedia's installation of EtherPad. Either document this EtherPad
>> installation (I'm not even sure if the URL is supposed to be public, so I'll
>> omit it here) or stop using it and post all of the notes directly on
>> MediaWiki.org. These notes in EtherPad are (by far) the most up-to-date and
>> helpful pages for tracking the status of projects that I've seen, but I
>> doubt more than a dozen people outside of Wikimedia Foundation staff have
>> any idea they exist. Though, perhaps a bit ironically, I haven't seen (m)any
>> ops-related notes on EtherPad, as far as I remember, so that still might be
>> an area in which only one or two people can give an accurate update.
>
> I think our dream tool would be EtherPad realtime capabilities built
> into MediaWiki.

I have a lot of dreams as well. I think it makes a lot more sense to work
within the current reality, though. :-)  I think some of the EtherPad notes
were transferred to MediaWiki.org today. This is definitely a step in the
right direction. If there's a way to ensure that this happens regularly,
that would be awesome.

MZMcBride