2010/11/25 bawolff <bawolff...@gmail.com>:
> Personally I think it would be nicer if you could associate source
> files with the final files.

Yeah, this was discussed a bit earlier in this thread. As far as I can
tell, that approach adds a fair degree of complexity (requirement of
tracking a whole new class of files in association with other files,
including versioning, deletion, etc.). It also seems to presume that
you'd never want to reference those same files using standard
MediaWiki links. It's not clear to me that such a system has clear
advantages over using normal wiki-links to source files from
appropriate places.

Stepping back a bit, I did a bit more research over the weekend as to
the current state of sourcing in Wikimedia Commons, and which file
types would be the most important to support.

Generally speaking, there's an existing (albeit limited) practice of
adding sources that can be represented as simple plain-text files,
such as POV-Ray, Gnuplot, etc. Sometimes these are formatted using the
syntax-highlighting extension, sometimes not. This practice could be
made more formal by directly requesting that users add source data
when they specify that a file has been created using one of these
applications (which is often identified using "Created with"
templates). But I don't necessarily see that any additional software
support is needed for these formats, save perhaps easier
downloadability, which could be added to the syntax-highlighting
extension.

For binary formats (and perhaps complex XML-based formats), the
following stand out as being of high significance:

* .blend as Blender's native export format and COLLADA as an open
interchange format
* .xcf as Gimp's native format (preserving layers and other
meta-information for bitmap images)
* .scribus as Scribus' native format (XML, but files can get very
large + have dependencies)
* .odt, .odp, .od as OpenDocument formats
* potentially OpenEXR and some other open interchange formats.

As far as I understand the pure security (as opposed to content)
concerns, these fall primarily into these categories:

* client-side execution of unsafe formats using designated
applications (embedded macros, references to other malicious content
etc.)
* exploitation of browser in-line display for purposes of XSS attacks or similar

Let me know if I'm missing a large category. I'm assuming server-side
execution is not an issue for Wikimedia given correct server
configuration.

Full security for these and other conceivably useful binary formats
seems difficult to obtain to me (that is, making sure that nothing bad
ever runs on a user's computer if they open a file). The restricted
upload (or restricted attachment) approach builds on social trust to
complement technical verification methods. We'd still have to invent
some additional machinery to implement security warnings before ever
exposing such files directly to the user.

Sacrificing easy individual file manageability, I wonder if it
wouldn't be most straightforward to write a decent ZIP handler (with
directory display, and thumbnailing of included images, for purposes
of patrolling), to disallow ZIP files that contain non-whitelisted
filetypes, and to use ZIPs as the container for all complex,
free-format source uploads. [[File:Bla source.zip]] could then just be
referenced as part of the file description pages where relevant.
Because some of the aforementioned binary formats are effectively
archives, some of this work would likely be necessary anyway.

That said, I'm not wedded to any particular approach. I hope we can
identify reasonably simple steps that we can take to significantly
expand our support for source files in the near term, because such
files are essential for re-use.
--
Erik Möller
Deputy Director, Wikimedia Foundation