On Mon, Nov 29, 2010 at 11:10 PM, Platonides <platoni...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Note that you can't simply check (or reverse-engineer) that JVM X
> doesn't treat it as a jar, since it could be detected in X-1 or X+1.
> So there should be a range of still in use JVMs to assert.
I run my own IT support company, and I've seen both private and
company clients running three-year-old Java and Flash versions, of
course the machines had a load of malware on them (which was the
reason I got called). The problem is, you've got a lot of users out
there who are confused by the update messages or by the Windows UAC
launching with every update as they get a LOT of lookalike messages
from sites like kino.to and now are confused what is real and what
not.
Securing against the "most in use JVM/PDF/Flash/whatever" version is
pointless, as you have to cover around three years of version
histories, if not more. For OpenOffice clients, it's even worse, as
some companies introduce their own private patch sets. Haven't seen
this until now, but I've never been at really big companies where this
actually is likely to happen.

Marco

--
VMSoft GbR