On Tue, Nov 30, 2010 at 8:48 AM, Dmitriy Sintsov <ques...@rambler.ru> wrote:
> * Bryan Tong Minh <bryan.tongm...@gmail.com> [Tue, 30 Nov 2010 08:44:43
> +0100]:
>> I think that the most recent version should be sufficient. I don't
>> think Java would break backwards compatibility: users wouldn't be
>> happy if their old jar suddenly stops working on a new JVM.
>>
> Why an outdated and inefficient ZIP format, after all? 7zip is
> incompatible to JVM, should it be a better choice for archive uploads?
> Or, that is too hard to parse on PHP side (I gueses console exec is
> required)?
You can create a zip easily on all major OSes with drag'n'drop.
Windows supports it IIRC from Win 98 SE and up, a standard Linux by
the tools the desktop installs (for KDE, it once was Ark), and MacOS
also delivers ZIP out of the box.
For ZIP, there are even built-in PHP functions to handle it.
7zip is, though open source, requiring third-party plugins, both for
the OS and servers, and 7zip is not really widespread. RAR and ZIP are
the dominant formats in cross-platform data exchange.

Marco

--
VMSoft GbR
Nabburger Str. 15