Rob Lanphier wrote:

> MZMcBride wrote:
>
>> Rob Lanphier wrote:
>>> If all goes well, you should only notice the improvement. If it
>>> doesn¹t go
>>> well, that¹s because there¹s something we missed, and that¹s where
>>> we¹d love
>>> your help.  Please help us test this release! We have a test
>>> instance of the
>>> software we plan to deploy available at http://prototype.wikimedia.org/
>>> .
>>
>> Why is prototype.wikimedia.org being used instead of
>> test.wikipedia.org? I
>> was under the impression that the purpose of test.wikipedia.org was a
>> pre-deployment launch pad while prototype.wikimedia.org is used for
>> testing
>> new extensions/features. Has this changed?
>>

> Yeah it has.  I don't recall the exact history of how we got to this
> point.
> I imagine that the two should become one in the future.

Another difference I'd like to point out is that prototype isn't 1
wiki, it's a group of
wikis. If I recall correctly there will be a prototype for each of the
major wikipedia
projects and special projects (eg. commons). With their main page and
site scripts
copied there. That way users can see if everything works properly,
mess with
their gadgets, check common.css/.js and <skinName>.js/.css.

--
Krinkle