On Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 12:02 PM, Maciej Jaros <e...@wp.pl> wrote:

> Chad (2011-02-03 20:52):
> > On Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 2:48 PM, Maciej Jaros<e...@wp.pl>  wrote:
> >> Can you set a different deploy date for different projects? E.g. 18.00
> >> UTC for Poland.
> >>
> > Not easily. As a general rule all software goes to all sites at the same
> > time.
>
> How hard is not easily? :-)

Hard enough the ops team would rather not try to rush it together at the
last minute, as the infrastructure tweaks needed could break more stuff than
the upgrade...

[Fun fact: there *are* some leftover bits in the Wikimedia server
infrastructure from our big 1.4->1.5 upgrade in '05 for serving different
sites out of different versions, but it hasn't been exercised since. Some of
the pieces are gone, others are ignored by other bits running maintenance
scripts and such, and some would need to be recreated differently to deal
with today's higher-scale traffic. It might happen for the next quarterly
release, but not this time around.]

>  Theoretically you're right ;-). But to my knowledge RL is in this
> release and this make this release almost as special as making Vector
> default. And Vector was easier because we were able to test it live with
> our scripts. But maybe I'm just superstitious ;-).

Think of the first day or two after the upgrade as your chance to
collaboratively track down anything you didn't miss! ;)

In theory, folks should be testing their scripts already on the various
prototype wikis and any personal test wikis y'all might have set up, but of
course that's never going to catch everything.

-- brion