On Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 5:01 PM, George Herbert <george.herb...@gmail.com> wrote:
> You're making assumptions here that the residential ISPs in the US and
> Asia have stated aren't true...

I'm awfully sure the assumption "customers will not pay for an
Internet connection that only connects to IPv6 addresses" is true, and
will remain true for at least five to ten years.  How ISPs deal with
it is up to them, but it's not going to be anything that stops
customers from accessing IPv4-only sites.  Once they have too few IPv4
addresses to assign all customers unique IPv4 addresses, then they'll
share IPv4 addresses, such as via NAT -- as well as possibly giving
out unique, stable IPv6 addresses.

On Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 5:02 PM, River Tarnell <r.tarn...@ieee.org> wrote:
> ISPs will probably do this, but I don't think it's right to say they'll
> *just* do this.  In the US, for example, Comcast has been running IPv6
> trials for a while, and expects to start giving end-user IPv6 addresses
> this year.

Yes, but they'll have IPv4 access as well.  Comcast's trial is
dual-stack, not IPv6-only:

http://www.comcast6.net/

There's not going to be any market for IPv6-only residential
connections for the foreseeable future.