* Martijn Hoekstra <martijnhoeks...@gmail.com> [Thu, 3 Feb 2011 23:12:27
+0100]:
> I'm glad this thread soon got to the point where we realise the
> problem is on the application layer level.
>
> So what are exactly the implications for blocking and related issues
> when we will start to see ISP level NATing?
> Am I right to assume that we will start seeing requests from say a
> global ISP NAT which may cover many clients, XFF 10.x.x.x?
>
> If so, do we need to be able to send both the ISP NAT IP, and the XFF
> IP to the servers, and amend the software so that we are able to block
> on the combination (so we can block, for example IP 9.10.11.12 XFF
> 10.45.68.15?)
>
> Will we be needing anon user- and user talk pages for a combination of
> ISP NAT IP and XFF IP? when ISP level NAT's show up?

I already do something like that with IPv4 in my poll extension. I've
noticed how many people are posting from private addresses behind the
proxies with internet address, so I record both IP/XFF as anonymous user
name (however private IP XFF by default is not recorded, you have to
enable it with $wgUsePrivateIPs = true; XFF value becomes a subpage in
NS_USER user page.
Dmitriy