On 04/02/11 08:13, George Herbert wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 1:05 PM, River Tarnell <r.tarn...@ieee.org> wrote:
>> Does any useful discussion still take place on that list?
>>
>>        - river.
>
> I don't know; did any ever?  8-)
>
>> It doesn't matter if Apache supports IPv6, since the Internet-facing
>> HTTP servers for wikis are reverse proxies, either Squid or Varnish.
>> I believe the version of Squid that WMF is using doesn't support IPv6.
>>
>> As long as the proxy supports IPv6, it can continue to talk to Apache
>> via IPv4; since WMF's internal network uses RFC1918 addresses, it won't
>> be affected by IPv4 exhaustion.
>
> Ah, yes.  That problem.  "We're" using that hacked up Squid 2.7, right?
>
> I'm not as involved as I was a couple of years ago, but I was running
> a large Squid 3.0 and experimental 3.1 site for about 3 years.
>
> Squid wiki says we need any 3.1 release (latest have some significant
> bugfixes):
>
>   http://wiki.squid-cache.org/Features/IPv6

It's not necessary for the main Squid cluster to support IPv6 in order
to serve the main website via IPv6.

The amount of IPv6 traffic will presumably be very small in the short
term. We can just set up a single proxy server in each location (Tampa
and Amsterdam), and point all of the relevant AAAA records to it. All
the proxy has to do is add an X-Forwarded-For header, and then forward
the request on to the relevant IPv4 virtual IP. The request will then
be routed by LVS to a frontend squid.

MediaWiki already supports IPv6, so that's it, that's all you have to
do. It would be trivial, except for the need to handle complaints from
users and ISPs with broken IPv6 routing.

What will be more difficult is setting up IPv6 support for all our
miscellaneous services: Bugzilla, OTRS, Subversion, mail, etc. Many of
those will be harder to set up than the main website.

-- Tim Starling