On 02/17/2011 06:46 AM, MZMcBride wrote:

> If there's a way to improve the general login workflow (AJAX, CORS,
> whatever), I'd like to see that implemented before this checkbox is ripped
> out. I'm not sure, even with dark wizard magic, how you'd easily disable
> global login. I suppose a Greasemonkey script might be able to auto-redirect
> you on login or something, but that's a nasty Mozilla dependency that only
> works per-computer.

We could always remove the checkbox but keep the backend code that
handles it.  Maybe even replace it with a hidden field and pull its
value from the URL, so that one could simply go to

   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:UserLogin?wpCentralLogin=0

to log in locally only.

(In any case, the way API login is currently implemented, I don't think
we can easily make this available via the API without also keeping the
backend available via the web UI.)

Regarding AJAX login, I agree that it would be nice and probably
something the usability folks ought to look at.  I've seen several third
party implementations, and even written a JS-only one myself:

   http://nethackwiki.com/wiki/MediaWiki:AJAXLogin.js

--
Ilmari Karonen