On 02/20/2011 11:52 PM, Platonides wrote:
> MZMcBride wrote:
>
>> Second, would this impede the ability to remove the "you've been logged in"
>> screen? Aryeh mentioned an idea that would allow MediaWiki to remove this
>> horrible workflow interrupter.[2]
>
> You may have noticed that I included a horrible page to log you in
> instead of the content (the "lightweight page"). That can be replaced
> with a javascript login, if it is clear how to do it.
> Showing a login dialog and setting your cookies is easy. But what do you
> do with the previous screen? You can return to it, but oh, you have
> several more tabs, and it needs rollback links with tokens everywhere,
> and there's now a need to highlight the links to pages smaller than 500
> bytes, and replacing png equations with TeX. Plus you have a couple of
> gadgets which needs loading, and the site javascript, which already
> fired would have needed to do something different.
> Using a separate page avoids skips that trouble. The LQTv2 you mention
> will have that problem, too. Unless they join the you are logged in
> action with the comment submit, or so.

Combining the login with the comment submission is probably the most
practical approach for LQT.

The AJAX login script I wrote for NetHackWiki[1] usually just reloads
the page, but it's smart enough to click preview/diff instead on edit
pages and to follow the return link on Special:UserLogout instead.  I
don't have it triggering on the "save" button like the LQT screenshot
showed, but if I did, it should be easy to just continue with the save
after logging in.

[1] http://nethackwiki.com/wiki/MediaWiki:AJAXLogin.js

--
Ilmari Karonen