So which rendering mode should I be vetting CSS for? Strict or limited
quirks? Some of the CSS that I review is specifically tweaked for
limited quirks since that's what the Wikimedia sites are running in.
Honestly, I don't know all of the problems that this change will cause.
I imagine it will just be lots of slight changes to how elements line
up, i.e. things shifting by a few pixels in most cases. For example, this:
https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/mediawiki/wiki/File:Login-applied-82155.png
instead of this:
https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/mediawiki/wiki/File:Login-simplesearch-84908.png

I haven't thoroughly investigated the ramifications of switching our
rendering mode, and apparently no one else has either. I'm just as
anxious to start using HTML5 as everyone else, but I think we should
have a better plan than "break stuff and revert if enough people
complain". If we know that there are potential issues, shouldn't we have
developers assigned to investigate those issues and report back before
we start deploying things? At the very least, we should get some
developers to inventory the CSS changes that will be needed and have
patches ready for the switch. Otherwise each project is going to
implement their own fixes locally and we'll end up with totally
fragmented CSS. Also, does anyone know if this will affect $wgUseTidy?

Ryan Kaldari