On Wed, Jun 8, 2011 at 12:16 PM, Krinkle <krinklem...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Subject was: Update Gadgets extension on WMF wikis
>
> This part of the thread is hereby forked to discuss
> MediaWiki:Common.js. I do not believe MediaWiki:Common.js should be
> deleted (atleast not yet), I'm merely curious what usecases people
> have for it which may or may not be useful to be taken into account
> during the upcoming revision of ResourceLoader and Gadgets.

In general, modular gadgets will be a better way in the future to create,
maintain, share, and re-use client-side code components, as it will provide
better infrastructure for doing those things versus manually cut-and-pasting
a few bits of code.

At the moment, we're only partway there; sharing things from site to site is
still awkward, and there's not a good management interface for site admins
to work with.

Obviously MediaWiki:Common.js won't be removed in the short term (and may
stay around for compat for a long long time).

-- brion