Tomasz Finc wrote:
> I'm really eager to fix the latter. We currently have good
> documentation from Roan and others at
> http://wikitech.wikimedia.org/view/How_to_deploy_code and we'll have a
> much better eco system when het deploy is out. For those of you that
> actively deploy code .. do we have enough documentation for someone
> new to  learn the system? If not .. what key pieces are missing? Feel
> free to grab me on irc if you want to dive into this deeply or if your
> just curious.
>
> Internally i've watched/supported our engineers becoming more familiar
> with our deployment system and i'm eager to have more who are
> comfortable with this from both staff and the volunteer community.
>
> --tomasz

I think it is as easy as knowing how to use scap and sync-file. I would
consider some features that [[How_to_deploy_code]] covers, such as
deployment of a new extensions as advanced.

The rest is mostly common sense: trusting the code that you are
deploying, not making silly syntax errors*...

I would add a note about having to be around* after you make any
changes, in case you broke something, and -for new scappers- to also
have some senior developer available.

I think it is worth explaining the correct way to add a configuration
setting or group. Those are changes done quite often (shell bugs), but
can break the sites or expose a private wiki.

* This happens to everyone, it is probably the most common cause of
breakdown (now sync-file runs php -l for you).
** For new people: that means at least being on #wikimedia-tech.