On 11-09-09 06:22 PM, Andrew Garrett wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 8, 2011 at 8:36 PM, Max Semenik <maxsem.w...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Even though data in those fields is small enough, can
>> serialize()/unserialize() be used instead? It's faster and doesn't require
>> the mess of ServicesJSON to work correctly.
> I'd prefer JSON. I don't care about the speed, it's not a critical
> code path, and JSON is stable, well-defined and can be read by any
> client, whereas serialize is some scary PHP format that may or may not
> change without notice.
- We already (un)serialize data in and out of the database.
- (un)serialize can't change, if it does we already have problems.
- These are for database storage we have no reason to input data into a
private database in a format expecting people to read the data back from
other clients.
- json in php requires a mess of code and potentially a 3rd party
libraries because:
-- the bulit-in json json_{en,de}code library functions may not be installed
-- the bulit-in json library in some cases actually has a bug that makes
it encode/decode json incorrectly