On 11-09-08 04:25 AM, Niklas Laxström wrote:
> On 8 September 2011 13:36, Max Semenik <maxsem.w...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, Sep 8, 2011 at 2:18 PM, Aaron Schulz <aschulz4...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Yay for log_params. I was thinking JSON would be appropriate here, so I'm
>>> glat to see that.
>>>

>> Even though data in those fields is small enough, can
>> serialize()/unserialize() be used instead? It's faster and doesn't require
>> the mess of ServicesJSON to work correctly.
> Do those cause actual problems or is it just matter of preference? In
> my opinion JSON is much better for anyone who wants to dig the logs
> without using PHP. Also, is (un)serialize guaranteed to be stable
> across PHP versions?
>
>   -Niklas
We already use serialize in HistoryBlob/Revision, the job queue,
caching, file metadata, the localization cache, ...

So if you add any new fields to the db you should really stick to
(un)serialize.
We're already using serialize everywhere and we even use binary storage
which is troublesome for anyone trying to stare at the database with
most phpmyadmin installs. People being minorly inconvenienced when
reading the database raw is the last of our issues.
If you want to argue the irrelevant minority that would be slightly
inconvenienced reading the database raw I'll argue the irrelevant
minority that would be slightly inconvenienced trying to do db queries
to mw code externally and have to parse json which isn't as simple as
(un)serialize.
;) I'll also wager that HipHop makes the gap in speed between
(un)serialize and json farther.