On Thu, Dec 8, 2011 at 8:06 AM, David Gerard <dger...@gmail.com> wrote:

> http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:David_Gerard,_Heathrow_Terminal_5,_20110801_P1020447.jpg
>
> Who thought this was a good idea to automate?

Me -- most of the time that's the correct thing to do. Problems generally
only show up when someone managed to damage an individual image by rotating
it in an image editor that, somehow, preserved all the EXIF data without
updating its orientation info.

Since you uploaded it, can I ask what you used to process the image before
uploading it that might have left it in this state?

(And yes, we know that allowing you to preview & fix the rotation *during*
the upload process will be a big help. There should be a bugzilla entry
ready for comments somewhere.)

> And how does one get this fixed? I can't even revert to a good copy.
>
> Has a list of these been made and human-checked?

There's a rotation bot that will fix things up for you -- it was already
fixed up to understand our new auto-rotation treatments a few weeks ago.

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Rotatebot

At the moment it's listed as stuck, don't know what it needs jostled.

-- brion