On 8 December 2011 16:29, Brion Vibber <br...@pobox.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 8, 2011 at 8:06 AM, David Gerard <dger...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:David_Gerard,_Heathrow_Terminal_5,_20110801_P1020447.jpg
>> Who thought this was a good idea to automate?

> Me -- most of the time that's the correct thing to do. Problems generally
> only show up when someone managed to damage an individual image by rotating
> it in an image editor that, somehow, preserved all the EXIF data without
> updating its orientation info.
> Since you uploaded it, can I ask what you used to process the image before
> uploading it that might have left it in this state?

As noted in the image, just jpegtran, set to preserve EXIF. I suppose
that was asking for trouble.

(grumble, mutter, the software should read my mind better)

> (And yes, we know that allowing you to preview & fix the rotation *during*
> the upload process will be a big help. There should be a bugzilla entry
> ready for comments somewhere.)

In this case, the problem is an old image being fixed wrong.

Perhaps some sort of editable setting, there in the image page, so
anyone who sees an inappropriately-rotated image can fix it? I have a
nasty feeling that, with the help of jpegtran, I'll have uploaded
quite a few images that will do this ...

- d.