"Jeroen De Dauw" posted a comment on MediaWiki.r111264.

Commit summary for MediaWiki.r111264:

adding DBDataObject class after having some people review it and posting on the
list. docs can currently be found at
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/User:Jeroen_De_Dauw/DBDataObject

Jeroen De Dauw's comment:

> reuses an existing ORM such as doctrine or propel

> it adds to our maintenance / code review queue

You'd need to adapt these to work with our existing DB abstraction layer or
throw the later out altogether. This does NOT decrease maintenance or review
costs.

> it is yet another barrier to new developers

You can make this argument about every utility added. Really, this is like
asking why we got Html when we had Xml. You are not forced to use this and can
just stick with the regular db access functions. To be fair though, this might
actually be easier to use for new developers.

> it will cause bug

Yeah, that happens with code and can be listed as a potential side effect of
every addition.

> it lacks a design document

It's better documented then most of our current code.

> Finally I am unsure which needs it is intended to fulfill

Did you read the docs? It lists the reasons? It avoids a lot of work, avoids a
lot of code duplication and increases consistency. I wrote the class because I
felt the need to have such an utility and have used it to great effect in my
last 5 extensions.