On Tue, Mar 20, 2012 at 6:13 AM, Victor Vasiliev <vasi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 20, 2012 at 5:24 AM, Brion Vibber <br...@pobox.com> wrote:
>> Is it time for us to think about H.264 encoding on our own videos?
>>

> Hello, Brion.
>
> I think it is time for Apple to support Wikipedia videos. I suggest
> that we view the thing from this point of view — Apple do not run a
> Top-10 site, we do.

That would be nice but is completely unrealistic.  Apple doesn't
support Flash and that's on a lot more sites of the world.  They don't
bow to pressure from major players who could make them $$$, and they
are certainly not going to bow to us.  Besides, the lack of wikipedia
videos does not appear to be hurting their performance.

Apple has a 30% market share for US smart phones[1] and their global
tablet share is 58% [2]

Since such a huge market share basically requires H.264 encoding, I
think we should bite the bullet and go for it.  If suddenly they start
charging, we can drop it immediately.

[1]
http://www.engadget.com/2012/03/07/comscore-us-subscriber-count-reaches-100-million-android-and-i/
[2]