I see a lot of differences:

The current process needs to be done by hand, which isn't just
annoying, but also not fail safe, some accounts might be overlooked,
etc. Bureaucrats can mislick or forget. The email account is likely
much more safe than wikimedia account, the google for example offers a
lot of security measures we don't, because they don't follow "hacking
user wouldn't do much damage" philosophy. And I guess many other
providers do the same. Hacking to two accounts would be much harder
than hacking one, given to that once the first account is hacked, the
user would be immediately notified in email (hacker would have very
limited time to hack to email box as well).

I don't say it's necessary, I definitely understand that getting a
sysop can't cause big problems and it's unlike it would happen
frequently. But I think this automated system is a better solution
than what the wikis started with.